Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Day 17: Galleries, Tesla, Rodeo Drive

My goal today was to visit several art galleries unique to LA. The ones I made it to are Thinkspace, Carmichael Gallery, Copra Nason, Project: Gallery and BLK/MKRT. All were open except Thinkspace and Copra Nason. The exhibits were welcoming and fresh and I was introduced to some new artists. For those of you who watch TV or like tattoos, LA Ink was located right next to Carmichael Gallery. I had no idea!


The following image is of the gallery BLK/MRKT. I believe this 'person' sitting on the rooftop was the result of Mark Jenkins. Look him up, he does some great stuff =D


I found myself near Beverly Hills, which made me recall that the artist James Jean recently collaborated with Prada. The Prada on Rodeo Drive was suppose to be designed according to his images.


I'm not quite sure how to describe Rodeo Drive other than ridiculous. Being on Sunset Blvd earlier and seeing the environment shift to Beverly Hills is astounding. Every shop at Rodeo Dr had 'secret service' type people at the entrances to 'greet' you. Not a single store wasn't designer and a simple credit card wallet at Prada was well over a hundred bucks. The famous designer Bijan had his yellow Rolls Royce parked out front of his store. This area is fun to visit, but I can't see myself ever living here or in this lifestyle.

My next stop was Tesla Motors, the makers of the Tesla Roadster. The Tesla Roadster is a $100,000 electric motor sports car. It has zero emissions, full carbon fiber body and runs off of rechargeable laptop batteries (a lot of them). The car has 248 hp and 210 lb-ft of torque at 0 rpm. 0-60 mph in 4 seconds. Other interesting facts: the battery weighs 900 lbs, it can travel 230 miles on one charge, is a one speed, has a 13k redline and the torque is present throughout the rev range (so the car pulls like a bat out of hell at all times).


I had a really good experience at the dealer. The company isn't trying to make money, but rather stimulate a movement to show the world that electric cars have a place in the future of automobiles. It might not be cheap or practical, but the technology is there to make an electric car faster than a Ferrari. I had the privilege of visiting the only dealer in the world (currently) and they even let me sit in one. I spent a good 30 minutes chatting and drooling over the car. These guys are great. Best car dealer experience I've ever had.

2 comments:

ECL said...

LA Ink! Pretty cool; Maybe you should get a Tattoo there, but it might just be all hype for the show, who knows what kind of staff they have off camera.

That car is crazy. I wonder what it would be like going that fast and not hearing anything out of the engine.

Anonymous said...

I'm the kind of guy who loves to try bran-new stuff. Currently I am making my personalized pv panels. I am managing it all alone without the help of my staff. I'm using the net as the only path to acheive this. I ran across a truly amazing website which explains how to make pv panels and wind generators. The website explains all the steps involved in solar panel construction.

I am not exactly sure about how correct the data given there is. If some people over here who had xp with these works can have a see and give your feedback in the page it would be grand and I would highly appreciate it, cause I truly take an interest in [URL=http://solar-panel-construction.com]solar panel construction[/URL].

Tnx for reading this. U guys rock.