Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Day 3: SF and Berkeley

Today was my first big day out to San Francisco. I started off at the southern part to hit up a burger place called Joe's Cable Car Restaurant. I saw it on TV and they recommended it. They grind their meat every day and make fresh burgers. It was very very good, although super expensive. It was $15 for a 6 oz patty, the most I paid for a burger.


The interior of the place was awesome and had a great atmosphere. I drove deeper into SF and parked near the Westfield mall. First of all, SF downtown is amazing! It reminded me of a mini-Manhattan. Lots of people, lots of cars and very busy. The shopping is expensive and extravagant. I spent a good 45 min buying stuff from H&M (finally!). The Westfield mall was spectacular. It was 7 or 8 stories tall and had the best mall cafeteria I've ever seen. They even have bars that serve alcohol there. Very fancy. The image below is of Union Square, which was in the area.


The Macy's on that block was 2 or 3 buildings. A separate building was dedicated for Men's stuff. Finally we get some respect! I'm starting to like SF more and more. As a quick side trip, I went to Japantown, which is a small section in downtown. I didn't spend much time here, but every store is Japanese, including anime and food. I visited a unique antiques store which was filled with expensive Japanese tea pots, furniture and other items.


The last portion of the night took place in Berkeley to visit UC Berkeley. What an amazing campus they have. It feels very different compared to UW. The buildings are large and resembled modernized roman architecture. It felt like a city in a sense that their was a lot of space between buildings. Very comfortable and beautiful. I didn't see it all, but I must say our fountain is way cooler than theirs =P

I went down the block to eat the famous Zachery's Chicago Style Pizza. It was extremely busy but I landed a spot at the 'bar'. From there I could see the massive amount of people (very tiny restaurant) preparing deep dish pizzas. While waiting for the pizza to cook (about 30 min), I met a nice gentlemen sitting next to me and we shared several stories with one another. Very fun experience indeed. By the way, I spent just under $50 for lunch and dinner combined for just myself! Gotta spoil myself every once and a while...

8 comments:

Unknown said...

what a fun day, saw the picture make me hungry,
next time I want to visit that Japanese shops.
thanks the update is so fun.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

John! I'm so jealous of you right now. The weather looks awesome and so does the food + shopping. Wish I were there right now. Thanks for keeping us posted :) Looking forward to the next update! Btw, what did you get at H&M? I've never shopped there but I heard they're opening one at U-Village and at SouthCenter.

John Lu said...

They had a lot of neat stuff at H&M. I ended up getting summer stuff, like flip flops and swim shorts. I got a shirt and jacket too. Good prices, even when not on sale. There is one opening downtown Seattle too. It will be a big hit. Hopefully Seattle will be more fashionable!

ECL said...

cool looks really fun. Nice burger! I'm just working on some things up here and it's boring.

SIM said...

Man, San Fran looks very clean compared to other similar sized cities. That burger is huge, looks bigger than the Claim Jumpers black widow or whatever it is. Did you hit up the infamous China town or fisherman's wharf?

John Lu said...

I didn't go to Chinatown or Fisherman's Wharf. I've been to the wharf before though. I'm not sure if I'm going to Chinatown yet...maybe in a few days.

ECL said...

Nice campus there