Saturday, July 26, 2008

SDCC: Wed through Sat

The highly anticipated San Diego comic con kept me busy for the past few days. Having been there before, I was quite prepared for the massive amounts of visitors, celebrities and long lines. Wednesday preview night was very successful. Considering there were no panels, I was able to secure all the items I wanted to purchase.

Thursday was a mix of panels and exploring the exhibition hall. I attended the 20th Century Fox panel, which began with the reimagining of The Day the Earth Stood Still. Guests included Keanu Reeves and Jennifer Connelly. They showed some footage, but I wasn't really excited for this movie to come out. The second movie discussed was Max Payne. Mark Walberg and Mila Kunis entertained the audience of 6500 people. Mark was very funny and an energetic speaker, which made the panel very enjoyable. Although the panel was scheduled to end at this point, a special guest speaker was announced: Hugh Jackman! He just got off the plane and was here to promote Wolverine, which he pumped up the crowd for and presented a special trailer. What an exciting movie! It even showed Gambit and Deadpool. This has potential to be, as Hugh put it, badass! Later in the evening I attended Dexter. The cast was there and the questions presented by the audience were very intelligent. I never seen the show, but it looks very good.

Friday I was able to meet two of my favorite artists: James Jean and Gary Baseman. Both went better than I can have imagined. James had a print for sale that was of one of my favorite images from the Prada line. This was my most favorite item I got this entire weekend. Gary was very friendly and took the time for each of his fans. He even doodled in my book. It was an absolute honor to meet both artists.

Saturday was a major panel day for me. The line up was Heroes (entire cast), Dean Koontz, Dollhouse (Joss Whedon, Eliza Dushku and Tahmoh Penikett) and Battlestar Galactica (much of the cast). We were fortunate enough to watch the entire premiere of Season 3 of Heroes: Villains. It was incredible!!! This is what makes SDCC so wonderful. The Dollhouse panel was extremely entertaining. It was both funny and informative. And of course this is possibly the last time we will see the actors and creators of BSG together in public. They spoke about the last season, but mostly they spoke of memorable moments. It was very bittersweet and it was obvious they were all deeply good friends. The emotions were high and at the end, they received a standing ovation and even a chant of "So say we all!"

There is still one day left, but it will be dedicated to the exhibition hall and saying goodbye. I wish this convention would never end. I grabbed quite a few items including three autographs from my favorite artists, Ugly Dolls and a yellow Domokun.

3 comments:

ECL said...

Too much fun!! I will go next year.

Unknown said...

What kind of ugly dolls did you get this year?? That is neat that they have a yellow Domokun. I definitely want to check that out :)

Aric said...

I want pictures! Or I guess I'll just see it tomorrow. = )